View, which makes dynamic windows for smart buildings, launched View SmartProtect, a physical security system that notifies building managers when there's a glass breakage.
View SmartProtect uses Microsoft Azure's IoT service and Azure Digital Twins to deliver glass breakage detection and notification. SmartProtect sends a signal through Azure Digital Twins notifying a customer a time, window and location where a glass break occurred.
According to View, which is selling SmartProtect as an add-on to its View Dynamic Glass, the system has coverage on all glass surfaces, requires no additional sensors and offers a real-time dashboard.
View's Dynamic Glass allows more daylight into buildings and office spaces while reducing glare. The goal is to reduce the need for blinds, optimize daylight and save on energy costs. View also pitches its Dynamic Glass as a wellness play that can make employees more productive.
SmartProtect represents View's first service on top of its Dynamic Glass. View plans more services on top of Dynamic Glass with personalization and wellness, digital security, connectivity and collaboration as possible, said Erich Klawuhn, vice president of product management at View. "When you have that digital skin on a building there are other applications," he said.
Klawuhn said the company's algorithm--dubbed Intelligence--tracks sun and cloud cover to control glare and heat load. View sees human productivity as its primary return relative to energy. Klawuhn said View has been working on algorithm since the product was started. View Intelligence integrates with enterprise building management systems (BMS).
"We started with sensors that just measured light level on outside of building. Through that learning we learned it was an inferior way to control the glass because you'd need a sensor for every zone. Each building has 100s of zones and doesn't take into account occupants," said Klawuhn. "Today we create a geometric model for solar tracking, occupants and space. We have more daylight with the new algorithm."
View releases algorithm upgrades about once a quarter, he said. The upgrades are added as new conditions are experienced. In a nutshell, the skin of a building--the windows--create an IoT network.
Here's how Smart Protect ties into Microsoft Azure.
On Nov. 2, View announced a $1.1 billion investment from the SoftBank Vision Fund to meet demand. To date, View Dynamic Glass is installed in 35 million feet of buildings including San Francisco International Airport, Levi Stadium, CenturyLink headquarters and Dallas Fort Worth Airport.
Best Black Friday 2018 deals:
- Amazon Seven Days of Black Friday Deals: All-time lows on office devices
- Amazon Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Echo, Fire HD
- Buy Black Friday 2018 deals: Deep discounts on Apple Mac, Microsoft Surface
- Costco Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad, $200 laptops
- Staples Black Friday 2018 deals: PC sales include $150 Chromebook
- Target Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad mini 4, $120 Chromebook
- BJs Black Friday 2018 deals: Laptop, desktop, and tablet sales galore
- Walmart Black Friday 2018 deals: $99 Chromebook, $89 Windows 2-in-1
- Dell Black Friday 2018 deals: $120 Inspiron laptop, $500 gaming desktop
- Jet Black Friday 2018 deals: $195 Roomba, $70 off Nest Cam Indoor
- Newegg Black Friday 2018 deals: $50 off Moto G6, $70 off Nest thermostat
- Office Depot Black Friday 2018 deals: $300 off Lenovo Flex, $129 HP Chromebook
- Sam's Club Black Friday 2018 deals: Buy a 4K TV and get a free Xbox One S
- eBay Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Galaxy Watch, Chromecast
- Lenovo Black Friday 2018 deals: ThinkPad laptops and more
- Microsoft Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Ad showcases Surface, laptop deals
- Google Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Home Hub, Pixel 3, and Pixelbook
- HP Black Friday 2018 deals: Pavilion laptops, desktops
- Windows laptops Black Friday deals: Dell, HP, Lenovo
- Chromebook Black Friday 2018 deals: Dell, Google, HP
- Best tablet Black Friday deals: Apple iPad, Amazon Fire
- Black Friday 2018 iPhone deals: $400 iPhone X gift card, BOGO iPhone XR
- Black Friday 2018 smartphone deals: OnePlus 6T, LG G7