Digital transformation spending will approach the $2 trillion mark in 2022, good for a 16.7 percent compound annual growth rate, according to IDC. The big question will be how much of digital transformation spending will deliver returns.
IDC said spending on technologies and services that enable digital transformation of businesses will hit $1.97 trillion in 2022. Part of the digital transformation spending boom revolves around the reality that every technology--IoT, artificial intelligence, cloud, 3D printing, 5G, automation, edge computing and a lot more--can be lumped into the category.
According to IDC, 30 percent of the global 2000 companies will allocate 10 percent of revenue to digital strategies by 2020. Why? Business executives will see digital transformation as a long-term investment.
Four industries will account for nearly half of the $1.25 trillion spent on digital transformation.
- Discrete manufacturing will spend $220 billion on digital transformation in 2019. Innovation and supply chain will account for a lot of that spending
- Process manufacturing will spend $135 million.
- Transportation will spend $116 billion with supply chain optimization and freight management leading the way.
- Retail will spend $98 billion with an emphasis on omnichannel, e-commerce, new experiences and next-gen payments.
Across industries, digital transformation spending will revolve around use cases that are discretely funded. These use cases include robotic manufacturing, automation and intelligent infrastructure for energy.
Hardware and services will represent more than 75 percent of digital transformation spending in 2019 with IT and connectivity services leading the way. U.S. and China will account for more than half of the spending.
- What is the IoT? Everything you need to know about the Internet of Things right now
- Robotics in business: Everything humans need to know
- Where's the 'edge' in edge computing? Why it matters, and how we use it
- IoT in the office: Everything you need to know about the Internet of Things in the workplace
Best Black Friday 2018 deals:
- Amazon Seven Days of Black Friday Deals: All-time lows on office devices
- Amazon Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Echo, Fire HD
- Buy Black Friday 2018 deals: Deep discounts on Apple Mac, Microsoft Surface
- Costco Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad, $200 laptops
- Staples Black Friday 2018 deals: PC sales include $150 Chromebook
- Target Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad mini 4, $120 Chromebook
- BJs Black Friday 2018 deals: Laptop, desktop, and tablet sales galore
- Walmart Black Friday 2018 deals: $99 Chromebook, $89 Windows 2-in-1
- Dell Black Friday 2018 deals: $120 Inspiron laptop, $500 gaming desktop
- Jet Black Friday 2018 deals: $195 Roomba, $70 off Nest Cam Indoor
- Newegg Black Friday 2018 deals: $50 off Moto G6, $70 off Nest thermostat
- Office Depot Black Friday 2018 deals: $300 off Lenovo Flex, $129 HP Chromebook
- Sam's Club Black Friday 2018 deals: Buy a 4K TV and get a free Xbox One S
- eBay Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Galaxy Watch, Chromecast
- Lenovo Black Friday 2018 deals: ThinkPad laptops and more
- Microsoft Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Ad showcases Surface, laptop deals
- Google Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Home Hub, Pixel 3, and Pixelbook
- HP Black Friday 2018 deals: Pavilion laptops, desktops
- Windows laptops Black Friday deals: Dell, HP, Lenovo
- Chromebook Black Friday 2018 deals: Dell, Google, HP
- Best tablet Black Friday deals: Apple iPad, Amazon Fire
- Black Friday 2018 iPhone deals: $400 iPhone X gift card, BOGO iPhone XR
- Black Friday 2018 smartphone deals: OnePlus 6T, LG G7