SAP S/4 HANA's latest cloud ERP release is the first volley in adding more robotics process automation into the enterprise software vendor's portfolio. Last month at SAP TechEd, the company outlined its investment in intelligent robotics process automation (RPA) with the aim of automating repetitive processes across its suite.
SAP's Franck Cohen, SAP's President of Digital Core and Industries, said the company prefers IPA (intelligent process automation) over RPA since it is more malleable to changing data flows.
RPA software is captures rules that govern process transactions, manipulate data and transact with computer systems. From there, processes are automated. Today, companies like Blue Prism are early pioneers in RPA. SAP's spin is using IPA to automate processes as content changes.
With quarterly cloud releases for ERP -- a cadence that goes beyond the typical twice a year cycle in software as a service -- SAP is planning to layer in more machine learning, artificial intelligence and process automation. The latest release of SAP S/4HANA includes 56 algorithms embedded, up from nothing less than 18 months ago. "We decided the way to differentiate ourselves is a massive investment in machine learning and AI," said Cohen. "We want a hands free ERP solution with natural language processing and automating everything that can be."
The company's broader goal is to automate half of its ERP platform by the end of 2020. "We will have hundreds of algorithms available next year," added Cohen. Ultimately, SAP's master plan is to connect its ERP automation to the broader platform. SAP unveils C/4HANA, aims to revamp CRM, leverage its ERP base
In its November release of SAP S/4HANA Cloud (release 1811), the company built out scenarios for manufacturing and professional services industries. Automation has been added for better supply and demand matching, fulfillment accuracy and supply chain visibility.
Also: What is AI? Everything you need to know about Artificial Intelligence | Machine learning? | Deep learning? | Artificial general intelligence? | The AI, machine learning, and data science conundrum: Who will manage the algorithms?
The November release also includes resource management tools to make sure projects at services companies are properly staffed with people who have the right skills.
SAP S/4HANA Cloud also includes supplier performance prediction to gauge delivery lead time at purchase, project raw material shipments and inventory. The company also added tools to identify the costliest maintenance activities and analyze spending.
On the back end, Cohen also noted that SAP S/4HANA Cloud gets a heavy dose of new application programming interfaces. According to Cohen SAP's cloud ERP flagship now has 3,000 APIs. "Every object we have is now exposed," he said. That API total is up from 1,800 in the last quarterly update.
RECENT AND RELATED COVERAGE:
The San Francisco 49ers have deployed SAP to absorb streaming data and improve the stadium experience in real-time via a platform called Executive Huddle.
The cloud services provider has beaten analyst expectations in the latest financial quarter.
SAP announced new network extensibility services and two new consortium groups at TechEd Las Vegas.
SAP has expanded its Leonardo Machine Learning capabilities, making it easier for companies to leverage the next-generation technology.
SAP's latest release of S/4 HANA Cloud adds more AI scenarios for manufacturing and professional services customers.
Best Black Friday 2018 deals:
- Amazon Seven Days of Black Friday Deals: All-time lows on office devices
- Amazon Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Echo, Fire HD
- Buy Black Friday 2018 deals: Deep discounts on Apple Mac, Microsoft Surface
- Costco Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad, $200 laptops
- Staples Black Friday 2018 deals: PC sales include $150 Chromebook
- Target Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad mini 4, $120 Chromebook
- BJs Black Friday 2018 deals: Laptop, desktop, and tablet sales galore
- Walmart Black Friday 2018 deals: $99 Chromebook, $89 Windows 2-in-1
- Dell Black Friday 2018 deals: $120 Inspiron laptop, $500 gaming desktop
- Jet Black Friday 2018 deals: $195 Roomba, $70 off Nest Cam Indoor
- Newegg Black Friday 2018 deals: $50 off Moto G6, $70 off Nest thermostat
- Office Depot Black Friday 2018 deals: $300 off Lenovo Flex, $129 HP Chromebook
- Sam's Club Black Friday 2018 deals: Buy a 4K TV and get a free Xbox One S
- eBay Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Galaxy Watch, Chromecast
- Lenovo Black Friday 2018 deals: ThinkPad laptops and more
- Microsoft Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Ad showcases Surface, laptop deals
- Google Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Home Hub, Pixel 3, and Pixelbook
- HP Black Friday 2018 deals: Pavilion laptops, desktops
- Windows laptops Black Friday deals: Dell, HP, Lenovo
- Chromebook Black Friday 2018 deals: Dell, Google, HP
- Best tablet Black Friday deals: Apple iPad, Amazon Fire
- Black Friday 2018 iPhone deals: $400 iPhone X gift card, BOGO iPhone XR
- Black Friday 2018 smartphone deals: OnePlus 6T, LG G7